Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September 3, 2012

Hey Guys! What is going on my friends?

I need to start my email today with some cool news. Are you ready for this? OK, here it comes. Right after this sentence! I saw a shooting star the other night! Cool, right? Yeah, I know it's cool! You're all jealous. And it was at like, 8:30 PM, not even that late! Anyways...

We had a great week this week! Monday was P-Day, and we did normal P-Day things. Grocery Shopping, the laundry, sent emails, wrote letters, took naps. All that fun stuff! 

The next exciting thing that we did was hand out with our Friends Kevin and Celine. Which is kind of normal, go and spend some time with them, nothing too special. Except this time it was in a Semi-Truck! It was cool! But I can tell you right now, that that is not a job that I will ever do. Goodness gracious... Did you guys know that those trucks have like, 18 gears? It's crazy, but there is only 6 spots on the stick shift. to hit the higher gears they have to push a button to get to the gears higher than 5.

Then, we had splits the next day, so I got to hang out with Elder Christensen. We are super alike. It's really funny actually. But I am very glad that I have Elder Heder as my companion because if I was working with someone like Elder Christensen/myself, then I can see a whole lot of time wasted. Not necessarily not doing what we are supposed  to be doing, but just, not being super efficient with the time we do have to use? Anyways, we got to teach "English Class" in Chicoutimi, to an Iranian couple, that is super fun. Elder Fitzgerald and I did it last splits. But this couple speaks Persian, so they taught me how to say and write "Flower" in Persian! For those who are wondering, it's "Gol", pronounced almost like, "Goal". 

And then, we got home from splits, and Elder Heder and I were doing our weekly planning. And we were sitting at the table trying to figure a way to get another person to come to church to try and meet our goals, and we had no idea what to do, and literally as we were talking about and trying to think of what to do, our investigator Richelle calls us and says "Hey, I was talking to my 20 year old son about church and I invited him to come with me and the kids, so is it OK if he comes to church this week?" Elder Heder and I just looked at each other and kind of just said... Yeah!!! Thats fine! We couldn't stop smiling! The Lord shall provide a way! So we had enough people at church this week, but I will get to that later.

Oh, I guess I will actually talk about church right now! First of all, yesterday was Roger's Birthday, so we sang to him and gave him a cake and stuff, it was good! But, for investigators at church, we had 7. Frère Martel told us that we had 9 members at church, 2 missionaries, and 7 non-members! it was absolutely amazing! Richelle was there with Amelia, Danique and Her oldest son, Henrico. And we had Kevin and Celine there, and our friend Michaël! We had primary again! Man, the members here are so strong, their faith is making so many miracles happen! 

Uh, what else for this week... OH! I have to tell you about our new snack food: Fruit Poutine!

We learnt this a week and a half ago at zone conference, but didn't get to really try it untill this week when we went shopping. But it is yogurt, and a whole bunch of rolled oats, and then just a junkload of fruit! Apple chunks, Banana slices, grapes, nectarine bits, blueberries, raspberries and almonds! Because almonds are very healthy for you. And we are all about healthy eating here! It is super good, super quick to make, and keep you quite full for a long time actually! And we lucked out last week on Yogurt! We hit a sale where a thing of 4 individual yogurts for a buck, so we bout like, 8 bucks of yoghurt. We should be stocked up for a while.
Something I've noticed about being a missionary is with eating food! I am able to eat anything! We had a Dinner Appointment and they had a shrimp ring, and I ate like 8 shrimp! And then there was another one where we had Cod, and I ate a lot of the Cod! (for those who don't know, I really don't like fish/anything that comes from water). Cheese! The French love their cheese, and I find that I actually am just loving all the cheese, even though a lot of it is very strong, and I didn't used to be able to eat a lot of strong cheese. Uh... what else. Oh! Mom, Tanner, Kaden, I eat SO MUCH peanut butter now. On my toast (not cut in fingers dipped in chocolate milk though, sorry), on my pancakes, on my plate and just by the spoonful, with my bananas! It's good! Well, it's full of protein and fat, and that is good. =P And, the final touch, we were on our roadtrip to Quebec two weeks ago, and we had bought some Ju-Jubes, or "Super-Jubes" As the package said. We called them "Super-Jews" though. Anyways, I ate all the black licorice flavored ones! Crazy, right?!?! No one likes the black licorice ju-jubes!

Anyways, I think that's about it for me this week. Can you believe that it has already been 6 weeks since the last transfer calls? This Saturday we find out if Elder Heder and I stay here or if we will be switched around! Wish us luck!

I Love ya all, and I hope and pray that you are all doing well!

Elder Austen Oviatt

2 Néphi 25:26
26 Et nous parlons du Christ, nous nous rejouissons dans le Christ, nous prêchons le Christ, nous prophétisons concernant le Christ, et nous écrivons selon nos prophéties, afin que now enfants sachent vers quelle source ils peuvent se tourner pour obtenir la rémission de leurs péchés. 

2 Nephi 25:26

26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophecy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins. 


Jesus Christ is kind of important. Like, on a scale of 1 to 2, he is like, at least a 3. This is why we try to help others see the joy and the peace that comes from a faith in Jesus Christ, because through him we receive a remission of our sins. All our mistakes, all our guilt, all our shame can be erased through faith in Jesus Christ! What a glorious message!

 I hope it isn't a sin to be proud of how much food we have in our fridge, because, honestly, we eat really well for missionaries! I always thought missionaries ate like college students. Ramen. But that is not true! 

 This is a new door contacting method we were told to try by President Cannon. So far it was worked quite well! 

 This is Kevin in one of his trucks. He is super proud to be a trucker. We are proud of him.

Yeah... I took the puppy for a little spin around the block. No big deal or anything...

 Elder Christensen tried to see if he could fit in the Drier at his appartment. Considering he is like 6'4'' I'd say he fit very well. I was very impressed with him!! 

 A beautiful shot off the bridge looking at "downtown" Alma

This is our friend Bertrand. He is old and talks funny and I love him very much. He gives us lots of fruits and pies and jams straight from his garden. it's awesome. Rhubarb pie, apple pie, fresh grapes, fresh tomatoes. Sometimes we feel bad visiting him because he gives us so much food! But only sometimes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment